A simple timeline
The name “Westbury” derives from the Saxon meaning West Burgh, presumably the fortified place in the west of the county.
Westbury has a long and interesting history dating right back to 1086 when the Domesday Book describes an estate of about 5,000 acres previously held by Edith, wife of the Saxon King Edward the Confessor but now held by William I. Its population was probably in the region of 600 including 9 beekeepers, 29 pigmen and an unspecified number of potters.
The medieval town developed and the right to hold a weekly market and an annual fair was granted in 1252 and added to in 1291.
A Borough Court was meeting by the mid-15th century and from 1448, representatives took their seat in Parliament.
Westbury became an important centre in the production of high-quality cloths for which the west of England was renowned throughout the world. Originally a cottage industry, weaving started to be industrialised as early as 1573 with a fulling mill at Bitham. With many more mills in operation, the town prospered as a result of this right through to the 19th century.
As a result of this 19th century prosperity, Westbury is lucky to have benefitted from the philanthropy of the Laverton family of clothiers in that they provided the Laverton Institute, the Public Baths and Prospect Square (almshouses for former clothworkers).
As the cloth industry declined, so too did Westbury but the town’s fortunes were revived by the arrival of the railway in 1848 and the discovery of iron ore on land surrounding the existing railway station.
The traditional industries of cloth manufacturing, gloving and iron ore production have all been replaced now by other industries, both large and small, on the industrial estates within the town. Westbury is fortunate also to still have its railway station which is on the direct line from London through to the west country which allows residents to commute to the larger commercial areas of Bristol, Reading and London.
Click on the images below for further information on the History of Westbury